The Agumbe rainforests of the Western Ghats is a precious gift of life to South India. A biodiversity hot spot, it holds within its folds a world of new science yet to be explored. As Tiger is for mainland the flagship of the reptilian world in these forests is undoubtedly the King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah), colloquially known as Kālinga! Our focus is to open doors of opportunity to people from varied backgrounds to learn scientific tools of nature & conservation through workshops and camps.
The Place: Located at Guddekere (8km from Agumbe and 24km from Thirthahalli), the five acre field site is nestled at the heart of the rainforests of Agumbe. Part of the biodiversity ‘hottest’ hotspot, the Western Ghats (World Heritage site, UNESCO) these forests host a wide variety of fauna and flora. With converging canopies, meandering streams and myriads of life forms the place is an explorer’s paradise.
Social Responsibility: These forests are under various kinds of threats. Lack of knowledge and support for causes to protect and conserve them is a hindrance for effective conservation. Major portion of funds generated by KCRE goes towards conserving the Western Ghats. The aim is to do as much as possible in all ways possible to conserve what we have of these pristine forests of India.
Imp Note; A major portion of funds from this camp goes towards conservation efforts in and around Agumbe. Your participation goes a long way in conserving one of the last remaining bio-diversity hot spots of the world, the Western Ghats.
- 3N/4D Tented Accommodation with all meals & basic facilities
- Exclusive forest field trips focused on flora & fauna (Day/Night)
- Exclusive tour leaders, Nature Experts & Forest Officials
- Documentary Screenings with Q & A Sessions with Herping Experts
- Private Road Transfers (Ex UdipI)
- Day 1 Arrive in Agumbe (1100 Hrs), Arrival, Introduction & Ice-breaking, Walk around the camp site in search of Draco (Western Ghats flying lizard), Stream walks and swimming is an option, Trek to explore the rainforest. Night walk to find Amphibians and nocturnal mammals (flying squirrel, slender loris and more)
- Day 2 Trek under thick canopy, exploring forest for insects, reptiles, amphibians and birds, Authentic malnad cuisine and rest, First Aid for snake bites, an essential for trekkers, Stream walk to find amphibians and snakes, Night walk to find nocturnal reptiles
- Day 3 Introduction to Snakes of Agumbe and Ecology of King Cobras, Nature trail, Discussion on the habitat type of Agumbe and other wildlife it houses and multiple walks.
- Day 4 Morn at leisure, check out, trip ends with countless memories
- 3N/4D Tented Accommodation with all facilities
- Exclusive Malnad Cuisine food (Veg/Non Veg) @ Agumbe
- Tour Leader, Nature Experts & Forest Officials
- Road Transfers from Udupi, Karnataka (Rail Station/Airport)
- Transfers from home destination to Udupi
- Any staff/Porter/Guide Tips
- Any Train Meals or Beverages (Alcoholic/Non Alcoholic) unless mentioned
- Anything not mentioned under inclusions
- One Backpack with Rain Cover (Preferably) with Extensive rain gear including Jackets,
Caps and any other requirements
- Multiple Socks, Sport/Trekking/Gum Shoes as per your convenience
- Full pants/Jeans/Tracks along with Full Sleeve Tees (at least 3-4 pairs)
- Camera Gear (Cameras, Tripods, Lenses etc) with full Rain Cover protection. Silica gel
trunks are available at the facility which will help in moisture control
- Any medication, insect repellant sprays or tubes that may be required as directed by
- Any basic food items like biscuits or wafers if required, Plastic Pouches for Mobile phones or Wallets or Any other personal requirements which may not have been covered.
- Rs. 13500 per adult (As per Inclusions) +5% GST (Ex Udipi, Karnataka)
- The iTravel Group is a branded trademark and wholly owned by M/S RAV Travels LLP. All
payments will need to be done in favour of RAV Travels LLP and we shall be not responsible for
any payments otherwise.
- This experience is purely on an educative content as requested and we shall ensure the
objectives are achieved. All our instructors are trained experts in handling wildlife and are
always geared up to handle sensitive situations.
- The trip will be lead by an exclusive iTravel tour leader from Udupi, Karnataka and will be joined later by
our nature expert’s team at the location.
- iTravel is not responsible in case of any late comers who might miss the train and no refunds
would be processed thereafter.
- The tour leader will lay down certain rules primarily keeping in mind the group safety & well
being. The tour leader’s word is final in all dispute situations.
- Agumbe is also called the Cherapunjee of the South and averages at 700mm rainfall. Since we
are headed in the peak season, please expect various sorts of insects including leeches. Basic
instructions would be provided to ensure your safety and well being.
- Please understand that this camp site is an environmental education centre and not a resort.
- Our camp site is not equipped with electricity. Mini-UPS systems are used for lighting.
- There is no telephone and mobile connectivity at the camp site.
- Please carry fully charged batteries for your cameras, torches, laptops and other equipments.
Having spare ones will help.
- Everyone is expected to wash their own plates, glasses and tea-cups a@er every meal.
- To help us manage waste we encourage you to separate organic and inorganic wastes and use
the respective dustbins. Please carry all inorganic waste back with you.
- Please take care of your belongings and ensure to keep your cameras and other electronic
- Bonfire and loud music is prohibited in view of avoiding any disturbance to animals.
Handling, agitating, or disturbing any wildlife will warrant strict ac:on
- Collection of any kind of flora or fauna is not permitted
- Exercise caution, control and care during observation and photography in the forest to avoid
stressing species or exposing them to danger
- Respect the culture and sentiments of locals.
- Kindly avoid carrying plastics and in case it is unavoidable we request that you carry back plastic
waste with you. E.g. Pet bottles, plastic bags etc.
- Room service is not available at the camp site.